Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Entry

Well here it is, the first entry. I started this blog for a few reasons, I suppose. Mainly, as I'm sure is true with all (most?) blogs, I want to see if anyone gives a damn. I want to see if there might be one or two people out there who might take the time to read what I write. Sure, it's shameless flattery, but what the hell? The other motivation for this blog is my sneaking suspicion that I might be good at writing. And what better trial than that by fire?

So what do I write about? I guess I'll write about my day. It was a good, lazy Sunday. But not lazy in the unproductive sense, just lazy in that I did whatever the hell I felt like. I read about 90 pages of Special Topics on Calamity Physics (a truly marvelous book, up to page 459 anyway), I ate good food, and I reflected for a good bit of time. Food and books are good for that: reflecting. Yesterday I was totally unsure of what my life might look like five years from now, and while I still don't quite know, I'm a lot closer to the answer after today's personal rumination.

At the moment, I'm imagining myself, five years from now, freshly graduated with a degree in somethinginteresting-ology. I'm poor, I live in a small house, and maybe, just maybe, I live with someone I love very much. But maybe I'm lonely. Whatever the relationship/economic/health status, I think I'll be happy. Maybe I should "know" I'll be happy, but I don't. I'm pretty sure of it, though. I feel like this person I am is capable, even destined, to do alright for himself. I feel like I'll live a long, good life. So, while I'm still in that kinda-loopy feeling before the Unisom really kicks into drooling high-gear, I feel pretty good. Not smiling to myself, alone in my room, good; but wide-eyed, heartrate-just-barely-elevated good.

Well, that's all for now. I hope someone reads this. Just a couple.

1 comment: